Skip to main content

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake (small batch, one bowl)

This lemon poppy seed cake is made in one bowl and is yogurt-based, which means you do not have to wait for your butter to soften! It is moist and rich and combines the two amazing flavors lemon and poppy seed. I recently bought poppy seeds for my easter cake (marbled carrot poppy seed cake - take a look at it here) and looked up new recipes I could try with my remaining poppy seeds and then I found the famous lemon poppy seed cake. Honestly, I think, this flavor combination is quite popular at the moment - I saw lemon poppy seed cupcakes, cookies, cakes, and many more. But I love a versatile flavor combo that is so perfect for spring and summer.


Which ingredients do we need for the lemon poppy seed cake?

I use some basic ingredients for this cake, nothing fancy- so you probably have everything at home. Like I said in the beginning, this cake is yogurt-based so we need yogurt. I am using a non-sweetened plain white yogurt with 3,8% fat. I haven't tried it with other yogurts, so I cannot say how a change will affect the texture of the cake.

We also need oil, which acts as a replacement for butter, too. I am using a neutral-flavored rapeseed oil. But I am sure melted coconut oil or olive oil will work as well. They just have a more intense taste themselves. 

Furthermore, we need all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, 2 eggs (size medium), sugar, 60g fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, and poppy seeds. I use ground poppy seeds for this recipe.

On top of my cake, I made a simple glaze out of powdered sugar and more lemon juice. In my opinion, that really enhances the lemon flavor even more and you should not skip this step!

For decoration purposes, I added some lemon slices and some daisies.

Which size is the lemon poppy seed cake?

I made a relatively small cake:  it is made in an 18cm / 7'' pan. You could also choose an even smaller baking tin (that just means your cake will bake even longer) but I would not recommend using a larger pan. Because if doing so, the cake is going to be very flat. If you want, you can also transfer the batter into muffin tins and make lemon poppy seed muffins with this recipe!




RECIPE:

Ingredients:

  • 2 tsp lemon zest
  • 130g sugar
  • 2 eggs (medium)
  • 190 plain white yogurt ( I used one with 3, 8 % fat)
  • 125g oil
  • 60g freshly made lemon juice (approximately the juice of 1,5 small lemons)
  • 250g all-purpose flour
  • 1,5 tsp baking powder
  • 0,5 tsp baking soda
  • 15g ground poppy seeds
  • 80g powdered sugar (for the glaze)
  • juice of half a lemon(for the glaze)
Instructions:

1. Start by prepping your baking tin by lining it and preheating your oven to 180°C/ 356°F.
2. In a bowl, start by rubbing the lemon zest into the sugar. Then add the eggs, and whisk until fluffy. 
3. Add in the yogurt and oil, as well as the lemon juice. If you want, you could also add some vanilla extract for even more flavor.
4. Slowly sift the flour, baking powder, and soda into the wet ingredients. Also, add in the poppy seeds at this point. Then stir until just combined. The batter will have some flour lumps, but these will dissolve in the oven.
5. Fill the batter into your baking tin.
6. Bake the cake in the preheated oven for about 60-70 minutes.
7. For the glaze, add the powdered sugar into a small bowl and slowly add the lemon juice. Then stir until a smooth, thick glaze is created.
8. Top the cake with the glaze and optional lemon slices and enjoy!

If you tried this recipe, I would be happy if you tag me in your photo! (@tamrasbakings)

For more sweet recipes, visit my recipe index with many more! Click here to discover them!

Popular Recipes

THE BEST BROWNIES: fudgy chocolate dream

Have you ever dreamed of fudgy, chocolatey Brownies?  Well, I have THE recipe that you're looking for. I changed some classic techniques and replaced a part of some of the most known ingredients to make the Brownies taste even better. So, if you want the perfect chocolate treat -jump to the recipe here. But I would appreciate if you read the following instructions to improve your Brownie -skills.  Let's go! What are the basic ingredients? For the perfect Brownies, you'll need: Butter and Coconut oil: the coconut oil gives the whole batter a really nice texture and makes the taste of the chocolate even more intense. Butter is one of the most basic but at the same time most important ingredients. To  create the fudgy consistency, we use melted butter and coconut oil . Chocolate: a Brownie without chocolate isn't a Brownie, right? So make sure to use high-quality chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa (70-80%). Sugar: I used a mixture of normal, g

Easy gluten free mini gugelhupf with Mill&Folks

I recently came up with the idea to make an advent wreath out of 4 mini Gugelhupf. Each of them should carry a candle, taste good, and look pretty. And then I partnered up with mill&folks, a US-based brand that produces gluten-free flour mixes, noodles, and much more. They are a family-owned and operating business that uses 85% solar energy to produce their products. The variety of their products is amazing and I love the packaging design, too. For this recipe, I used their bake-free sponge cake-muffin-cupcake flour mixture (the link to this product is here  ). I added cocoa powder and some sugar and topped my mini gugelhupf with some frosting and raspberries The whole recipe is gluten-free, low in sugar, and looks extremely cute :) In case you are wondering which mini Gugelhupf baking tin I am using, it is this one- I would highly recommend it! So without further ado, let's get baking! RECIPE: Ingredients: 250g mill&folks bake-free sponge cake flour mix 20g cocoa powder 1

Pflaumen Cupcakes mit dunkler Schokolade und Zimt-Frosting

Wenn Sie auf der Suche nach einem perfekten, einfachen und schnellen Herbstrezept sind, das wie ein sonniger Herbsttag schmeckt, dann ist dieses Rezept genau das Richtige für Sie. Es besteht aus einem einfachen Muffinteig mit Pflaumen und Zartbitterschokolade und wird mit einer schnellen, butterfreien Zimt-Kaffee-Creme verfeinert. Sie können die Muffins ganz einfach im Voraus zubereiten und sie nach Belieben mit dem Frosting toppen.  Nach der Zubereitung sollten Sie sie im Kühlschrank aufbewahren. Wenn Sie möchten, können Sie die Zartbitterschokolade durch gehackte Walnüsse, Mandeln oder Vollmilchschokolade ersetzen (obwohl ich finde, dass der Geschmack von Zartbitterschokolade perfekt für den Herbst ist). REZEPT: Zutaten: 113 g Butter (Raumtemperatur) 240 g Weizenmehl 1 Teelöffel Backpulver 160 g weißer Zucker 2 Eier 125 g Milch nach Wahl 9 kleine Pflaumen 50 g Zartbitterschokolade, gehackt 145 g Quark 30 g Schlagsahne 1 Esslöffel Süßungsmittel wie Agavendicksaft, 1 Teelöffel Instantk